Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

I recently polished off this book by Brandon Sanderson, and it was pretty good. Sanderson is a relatively new fantasy author who has written several fabulous books for adults. Evidently, he writes a new novel in this Alcatraz series, which is targeted for middle school youth, as a break from more serious books.

As you may be able to guess from the title, this series isn't terribly serious. Alcatraz, an angsty youth, finds out that he is an Oculator, a type of person who can perform magic with various magical eyeglass lenses. He uses this nifty skill to combat the Librarians, an insidious cult that pretty much controls the world as we know it through information hoarding and other manipulations.

It was really a light and funny book, and I will likely read the rest of the series as well. However, some of my readers (Mom) may not be very appreciative of the premise, so read at your own risk.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well--I got behind on your blog because you are posting so often and I have been busy with out-of-town company. I thought I had time to read one quick post and was I surprised to see the words "evil librarians"! I thought I might be mistaken and misreading "evil libertarians"! I like the idea of librarians as guardians of the world's knowledge, which was more true before the invention of the Internet!