Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Bear Called Paddington

I just finished this charming, short book by Michael Bond. It revolves around a bear from darkest Peru who is adopted by a British family. I've got to say, every place sounds way cooler when preceded by "darkest." I grew up in the darkest Midwest, and attended college in darkest Kirksville. Doesn't my life already sound exciting?

Being from darkest Peru, Paddington doesn't know a lot about getting around in modern (1950s) Britain, so he is constantly getting into scrapes. For example, he's never owned a new coat before, so when the hood falls over his eyes, he thinks he's gone blind and gets lost.

The best part about this book is how everyone is so nonchalant about Paddington. He rides the subway and orders tea at a restaurant, and the most surprised thing anybody says is "You're rather small for a bear, aren't you?"

This is really a fabulous book for children. I can't believe I have never read it before, but I recommend it to anyway who has, is, or was a child.

Also, this is probably the best line to use before going on an outing: "I've got a funny feeling about today...as if things were going to happen."

2 comments:

Mom said...

I've never read it either, which sounds like a mistake! I'll put it on my list.

Chick in the Czech said...

We should buy this book!