Wednesday, April 26, 2006

trouble

My roommate Laura is in a sign language class. For this class, she has to sign the lyrics to Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" tomorrow, so here I am watching her practice and listening to the song, when suddenly my other roommate Sara bursts through the door.

"We're being attacked!" she cries out. Startled and wary, we follow her into the kitchen where a heart-stopping sight met our eyes. A two-inch-long Bumblebee is buzzing around in our ceiling light (please note that "Bumblebee" is capitalized to denote its power and ferocity). So Laura and I suit up for battle, developing a strategy for defense and finding makeshift flyswatters to combat this freak of nature, with Neil Diamond's egging us on in the background.

It turns out, though, that Bumblebees are not very adept at escaping from light fixtures. After poking the light for a few minutes to coax the Bumblebee out, we gave up. So now this insect on steroids is hanging out in our kitchen. Well fortified. Just waiting to pounce. If I don't blog again in the next few days, you can assume that the Bumblebee has struck again.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Would you like Emma to suit up in her bumblebee costume and come over and battle your Bumblebee? It would be a mighty duel!

Anonymous said...

That's funny about Laura. Why would she choose "Sweet Caroline"? Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

I don't think David gave this subject much justice. I didn't think much of thios bee when I frist read the post and was quite skepticle. However I was then lead to the kitchen to see the mighty creature where I could have possibley fainted but I'm not sure due to the shock and awe. This bee was like nothing I have ever seen before. Do not take this post lightly because I beleive the monster was sent by Satan himself. I also took some video footage of the hunt to try to document the event.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Davey, I am so happy I have a son who posts phrases such as "startled and wary"!

Anonymous said...

Why are you reading at the library? I can't believe she wasn't impressed with you, but maybe she knew you were not a bee slayer.

Anonymous said...

It was the biggest bee I had ever seen! Abbie, I chose "Sweet Caroline" b/c it was slow enough to be able to get all the signs in. Think how easy it would be to sign, "Hand, touching hand,..."